Serving on the Vestry of St. Clare’s is an important and deeply rewarding opportunity to play a leadership role in the life of our church.
All vestry members should strive to the best of their abilities to:
- Have a love of God and demonstrate a commitment to following the way of Christ;
- Be active in and knowledgeable about the congregation, its programs and governance;
- Be fair, interact well with people and strive to earn the respect of the members of the congregation;
- Purposefully strive to “check one’s ego at the door;”
- Purposefully strive to be a servant of the people without the need to be the “most important person” in the congregation or the need to be the one with the right answers to everything;
- Have enthusiasm and vitality for this ministry.
All vestry members should be able to make the following time commitments:
- Vestry meetings, committee work;
- Vestry retreat(s);
- Weekly worship services (rotating occasionally if more than one);
- Congregational events: coffee hours, meals, fundraisers, adult education programs, etc.;
- Diocesan meetings, as necessary;
- Annual meeting.
All vestry members are responsible for:
- Offering talents to support the congregation’s ministry;
- Praying daily for the rector, leaders and members of the congregation;
- Pledging financial support early in the stewardship campaign;
- Being active ministers of the Gospel in daily life and work;
- Bringing one’s whole self to the table; being present – mind, body, and spirit;
- Risking openness with one’s ideas, beliefs and desires.